Wednesday, September 15, 2010

HAY, the stress.

Given the size of Gardiner, MT (My home,) there is little need for public transportation, therefore my experience is, well zero. So began my adventure Monday to take the bus from Olesa (where I live) to Barcelona (for school.) I arrived at the bus stop at 9:00, to wait for the 9:10 bus. I wait, fret that I'm in the right place, think about asking someone, but decide to continue to wait. 9:25 roles around and finally, the bus arrives. (In typical Spanish fashion, arriving when it's well and ready, not according to schedule.) A half-hour bus ride later, I get off at (what I think) is my stop in Barcelona. Well, it's not, but no problem, just a little extra walk. So I walk... and walk... and walk. And then refer to my map, only to find that the street really aren't marked with any kind of names. I finally arrive at school, (30 minutes late, but hey, I've just adapted quickly to the spanish tardiness.) I'm immediately thrown into a room to complete a test to determine my level of Spanish. Which given my frantic, stressed and sweaty state, I'm surprised to report I did surprisingly well, and was quickly shoved into the highest level class. I look around. The teacher looks unenthused and now very sympathetic towards my state. The other students, all much older, much more experienced in both college and Spanish. Then began three hours of misery, confusion, stress, and a whole lot of other negative emotions. Granted though, I'm in Spain, in a beautiful city, with wonderful sun, and gorgeous beaches, so keep all my complaining in context. Skip ahead to today. conquered the public transportation system, arrived to class with time to spare (even time for a pre-class espresso,) moved to a class where the students are more or less the same age, and the teacher much more energetic and inspiring. Best of all, no longer am I overcome by confusion. And when you can do your homework on the beach, who's to complain!

3 comments:

  1. You can sit in my cubicle and I will sit on the beach if that would be less stressful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steves, I'm so happy youre doing this, just have to keep it going eh?? haha but it sounds fabulous, even the late, sweaty, confused parts;). I miss you buddy but I know that you are going to do and be amazing there. Love you, Ally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand the "HAY" part of your title.

    ReplyDelete