Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Creepers, Hospitals, and Internships

Part I: Creepers
This week has been one for creeping, both being creeped on, and doing some creeping myself. I went into Barcelona Sunday with my Irish friend, with plans to have a nice, relaxing evening in the park. However, we soon saw this wouldn't be the case when we got on the metro and two men were persistently staring and, well, being creepers. I'm always a little paranoid, so I just ignored it, figuring we'd get off the metro and they'd bug off. However, once we got off and started walking to the park, we realized they weren't going to leave us alone. So we zig-zaged through crowds hoping to lose them, until finally they sat down at a bench, and we continued on. We spent a good two hours in the park, and finally decided we needed some coffee. But, being a Sunday, nothing was open but a little store, so I went in to ask if they knew of a cafe nearby that would be open. The man replied yes, they're everywhere. And I said, noooo, I've been walking around for two hours and there not. And he said, well how about I invite you to coffee and I'll show you. I declined, he asked why, and I said, duh, because I don't know you. I then just decided to leave, while he stood in the doorway yelling, "do you want me to invite you? I will!" So escaping creeper #2, we decided to count our losses and head back toward the metro. But lone behold, creeper #1 was still sitting on the bench, and of course, as soon as we passed by, he got up and continued his pursuit. We figured it wasn't a good idea to get on the metro again with him, so we did our best to lose him, but to no avail. So we headed back to the metro, and right before we got on our train (which coincidentally, he was going on to) I turned to him, and in flustered Spanish muttered something like "if you keep following us, I'm going to tell the security guard." He must of understood, because that was the end of the creeper situation for the night.

I've also been doing some creeping, but I think mine is a little less... creepy. I've been taking lots of photos, but I haven't really been bold enough to get alot of people shots, which is what I really love, so I made it my mission today to practice my camera creeping, and get some good shots of people, since there is always someone doing something interesting. I'm still not as bold as I need to be, but I'm working on it. And hopefully some of the creeping skills of the Spanish will rub off on me.

Part II: Hospitals
Marta, the mother I'm staying with, got sick about a week ago, with what seemed like a simple cold. But last Wednesday, it escalated, and finally Tomas (the dad) decided she needed to go to the hospital. Unfortunately, she has been there ever since (it will be a week tomorrow.) They figured out right away it was an infection, but for the first several days, they were unable to figure out where it was coming from. They've finally got it under control, and she's expected to come home tomorrow (fingers crossed!) But, this all has meant that me and Little Tomas have been together all week, as how Tomas (the dad) has stayed with Marta at the hospital. I was worried about being alone with him all week, because if we had problems I'd have no relief from him. But it's turned out great, and he's been great this whole time, and seems to be trusting me tons more. He's slept in my bed with me all week, and even though that means I get kicked or hit every 30 minutes, I'm glad he trusts me and loves me this much now.

Part III: Internships
I send out an email to several papers and photographers here in Barcelona, asking for an informal internship, just trying to gain a little experience when I have a few hours to spare. I wasn't really expecting anything to come out of it (especially considering I don't know if my letter in Spanish was comprehend able.) But a I got a response back from and AMAZING photographer here in Barcelona, who is so generous and wiling to work with me and help me with what ever I need. He really focuses on social and photojournalism, which is exactly what I would love to photograph, and has been published in Time, BBC, National Geographic, everywhere I would dream of being published. I have a meeting tomorrow to make a plan with him, and hopefully I'll get to go out on lots of shoots, make some good contacts, and have an amazing experience learning more about photography. Here's his website, take a look if you have a minute, his photos are truly amazing. http://www.charliemahoney.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment