Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Winning hearts

After (almost) a month here, I'm finally starting to figure people out, and with that, I now know just the thing to win them over.

Cookies: I made a half-hazerd batch of cookies the other day, and what I thought turned out as sub-par pastries turned out to be a bonding experience and an invitation to stay with the family indefinitely. The ingredients were all slightly different then what I was used to, the oven in celsius, and since baking in your house is a rarity, I had to make do with a casserole dish in place of baking sheets. But as soon as Tomas pequeno saw how we "magically" turned eggs, sugar, flour and chocolate into cookies, he has been attached to my hip since. And Marta and Tomas (the father) walked in the door and sprinted towards the kitchen asking what the wonderful smell was. The plate of cookies was gone in minutes, and Tomas (father) says he is going to clear out his office and turn it into a bakery for me. Marta's niece, Rosamaria comes over every Wednesday after school, so I decided to make a second batch with her. As a 13 year old, I thought she would have baked at least one batch of cookies, but it turns out, she was equally as fascinated as the other's by the "magic" of baking. She literally sat in front of the oven, staring, for the entire time the cookies were baking. I never thought a cookies would bring me so much love.

Translator:
Today, the next door neighbor bashfully knocked on the door and explained that she had a letter that from an english doctor that she had been trying to translate for three hours and to little avail. When I had the letter fully written out in castellano (spanish) 15 minutes later, she was ecstatic. She thanked me for 10 minutes, and said how she was going to invite me over for dinner, and said to make a menu of my favorite foods and she'd make me a " grand dinner." Similarly, all of Tomas pequenos little friends have now gotten over their fear of the tall scary "American" and now run up to me on the street to ask me how to say words in spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment